Do you love to think of new ways to sell consumer-packaged goods? Enjoy helping people develop positive new habits like cooking? Are you deeply familiar with Jobs-to-be-done and the role ingredients play in inspiring people to cook every day? In this position, you’ll drive key parts of the marketing and business strategy for ChefSteps Marketplace. We’re a small team, so you’ll need to be ready to jump into big-picture strategy while taking on detail-oriented execution. If you’re the type of person who loves creative directing a retail display as much as analyzing competitive trends and modeling sales forecasts, this is the job for you. You’re a full-stack marketer and all-around businessperson, but you have one area where your skillset goes deeper. Whether that knowledge is in retail marketing, pricing strategy, partnerships, referral programs, or another area, you can expand our expertise in a clear and demonstrable way, while also offering serious business acumen and a can-do attitude.
WHO WE ARE
Born of a love of cooking, ChefSteps is a smart kitchen product company building tools to help people cook more, have more fun cooking, and get incredible results every time. In 2016 we launched Joule, the smartest, smallest, and most powerful sous vide tool on the market. Controlled by a smartphone or tablet (plus Amazon Alexa and Facebook Messenger), Joule has been used to cook more than one million meals—and counting—and is sold at Amazon.com, Sur La Table, and the ChefSteps website. We are currently hard at work on new products, features, and services that will prove integral to the kitchen of the future. Hungry to create incredible cooking experiences for people everywhere, and eat a lot of great food along the way? Read on.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Provide marketing direction and manage partner communications as needed in developing retail displays, packaging, and other marketing materials
- Initiate relationships with retail partners, particularly with regard to content, advertising, and promotions needs
- Work with finance and communications colleagues to determine discounts, timing, success metrics, and promotion strategies, both for broad campaigns and targeted deals
- Manage referral marketing campaigns and affiliate marketing opportunities
- Define special offers, including but not limited to price reductions and drive execution for running those offers
- Stay up to date on trends in the smart kitchen and sous vide landscape, recommending strategies to ensure Marketplace gains traction in a crowded CPG field
- Closely follow competitor actions and advise on how we should adjust pricing, product lineup, positioning, or advertising strategy for Marketplace accordingly
- Closely follow Joule and Marketplace sales trends, digging into causes behind any anomalies and recommending plans of action to ensure we meet our goals
- Work with finance and operations colleagues to set—and revise as necessary—overall revenue and sales targets/forecasts by product and retail channel
- Identify and develop high-value strategic partnership opportunities
- Ability, willingness, and drive to jump into any task that needs doing, even if it’s something you haven’t done before or that you used to delegate
- Experience working and leading cross-functionally—from operations to software to creative—and influencing across teams to execute on your ideas
- Strong business acumen and sense for marketing and pricing strategy; MBA experience could be a strong background for this role
- Strong creative marketing intuition and understanding of brand strategy
- Fearless approach to arguing for your ideas, but a willingness to change your mind when presented with conflicting evidence
- Quantitative and analytical toolbox, including advanced Excel skills around analyzing data and building models
- Comfort navigating an ambiguous, low-structure environment; experience in high-growth startups is a plus
- Experience marketing and managing consumer packaged goods is a big plus
- Minimum 5–7 years of work experience
PERKS OF THE JOB
- Full health coverage, plus eye and dental insurance
- Competitive pay, annual salary adjustments, 401(k) plan, and ownership in the form of shares and/or options
- Self-determined leave—you schedule your own vacation and sick days, coordinating directly with your teammates
- Enriching work environment: Whether you want to master chocolate soufflé, score pro photography tips, pick up new math skills, or learn to pilot a glider, your ChefSteps teammates can help you. We hire fascinating people from many different backgrounds—Michelin-star chefs, award-winning animators and designers, top engineers, and globetrotting journalists. If you come to work looking to get smarter, you’ll be at the right place.
- Design your own workstation—we encourage employees to request the tools and supplies they need to do their job well
- Dog-friendly work environment
- Seriously stocked coffee station: La Marzocco espresso maker, pour overs, French presses—we provide you with all of them, plus Herkimer beans for days. Just want a Nespresso? We got that too.
- So much free food—snacks to fuel you and dishes crafted by ridiculously talented chefs to feed your very soul. Seriously, it’s like working in a secret Seattle restaurant that also happens to be the city’s best.
- The best parties, sailing trips, mountain vacations, and more—many of us have a background in hospitality, and we like to do it up right
- Great location: First, we work in downtown Seattle, which, wow. This city is amazing. Second, we are right in the heart of Pike Place Market, which means drinking, eating, and grocery shopping in a world-class food destination mere steps from your desk. What, pray tell, could be better than that?