Do you see design in everything?
ChefSteps is looking for an expert visual designer to help represent the ChefSteps and Joule brands across multiple marketing channels. In this role, you’ll support the design needs of our marketing efforts for Joule Sous Vide, our smart kitchen device. You’ll do creative work with several teams—Photography, Design, Product, and Marketing. You’ll push the brand forward and communicate that with Joule Sous Vide and ChefSteps, the answer to the question—“Should I cook tonight?”—is always yes. And finally, you’ll work in an iterative, fast-paced environment that is both challenging and rewarding.
We’re a lean team without hierarchy, so everyone pitches in on everything—you should have a can-do attitude and be ready to get involved in big-picture strategy as well as detail-oriented execution.
WHO WE ARE
Born of a love of cooking, ChefSteps is a smart kitchen product company building tools to help people cook more, have more fun cooking, and get incredible results every time. In 2016 we launched Joule, the smartest, smallest, and most powerful sous vide tool on the market. Controlled by a smartphone or tablet (plus Amazon Alexa and Facebook Messenger), Joule has been used to cook more than one million meals—and counting—and is sold at Amazon.com, Sur La Table, and the ChefSteps website. We are currently hard at work on new products, features, and services that will prove integral to the kitchen of the future. Hungry to create incredible cooking experiences for people everywhere, and eat a lot of great food along the way? Read on.
We believe a diverse team creates better products and a more rewarding work culture, and this belief centers our hiring process. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. To learn more about our company culture, please see our About page.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Help expand the visual vocabulary and brand of ChefSteps and Joule
- Design all types of marketing materials, including banner ads, emails, in-store displays, social media ads, print ads, and more
- Conceptualize, design, and build the landing pages and site elements that support our marketing campaigns
- Work with product, marketing, and data teams to come up with ideas for, and execute on, new page designs and site elements that can improve KPIs and increase sales
- Test pages to improve user experience and conversion rates on landing pages—you’ll propose ideas, set up tests (A/B, user tests, etc.), measure impact, and share results broadly
- Work on other design-related projects as time allows: interior design, signage, branding, and everything in between
- An outstanding portfolio with samples of work that show your thinking, effectiveness, and ability to communicate through strong design
- Experience designing successful marketing materials for ad campaigns, including landing pages, banner ads, in-store displays, and social media ads
- Experience designing email marketing campaigns, especially in MailChimp
- Experience designing in physical spaces and print: magazines, direct mail, retail stands, and kiosks
- A strong visual aesthetic and proven expertise in composition and layout, typography, color theory, photography, and illustration
- A passion for continual experimentation, iteration, and optimization—you must have quantitative and analytical skills and the ability to share lessons learned
- Ability to make sound design decisions drawing on data and user testing
- Ability, willingness, and drive to jump into any task that needs completing, even if it’s something you haven’t done before or that you used to delegate
- Ability to manage several complex projects at the same time
- Experience marketing consumer technology products is a plus
- Experience designing ads with HTML and/or motion design is a plus
- Experience in high-growth startups is a plus
- Knowledge and interest in food/cooking is strongly preferred
PERKS OF THE JOB
- Full health coverage, plus eye and dental insurance
- Competitive pay, annual salary adjustments, 401(k) plan, and ownership in the form of shares and/or options
- Self-determined leave—you schedule your own vacation and sick days, coordinating directly with your teammates
- Enriching work environment: Whether you want to master chocolate souffle, score pro photography tips, master new math skills, or learn to pilot a glider, your ChefSteps teammates can help you learn. We hire fascinating people from many different backgrounds—Michelin Star chefs, award-winning animators and designers, top engineers, and globetrotting journalists. If you come to work looking to get smarter, you’ve come to the right place.
- Design your own workstation—we encourage employees to request the tools and supplies they need to do their job well
- Dog-friendly work environment
- Seriously stocked coffee station: La Marzocco espresso maker, pour overs, French presses—we provide you with all of them, plus Herkimer beans for days. Just want a Nespresso? We got that too.
- So much free food—snacks to fuel you, dishes crafted by ridiculously talented chefs to feed your very soul. Seriously, it’s like working in a secret Seattle restaurant that also happens to be the best one.
- The best parties, sailing trips, mountain vacations, and more—many of us have a background in hospitality, and we like to do it up right
- Great location. First: We work in downtown Seattle which, wow. This city is amazing. Second, we are right in the heart of Pike Place Market, which means drinking, eating, and grocery shopping in a world-class food destination mere steps from your desk. What, pray tell, could be better than that?