Are You an Electronics Engineer Who Is Passionate About Food? Do you love balancing trade-offs like size and performance? Are you proactive about identifying and taking the necessary steps to get the job done with a small team? ChefSteps is seeking an electrical engineer to help the hardware team create amazing new products and bring them to market.
WHO WE ARE
Born of a love of cooking, ChefSteps is a smart kitchen product company building tools to help people cook more, have more fun cooking, and get incredible results every time. In 2016 we launched Joule, the smartest, smallest, and most powerful sous vide cooking tool on the market. Controlled by a smartphone or tablet (plus Amazon Alexa and Facebook Messenger), Joule has been used by our community of cooks to create more than 1 million meals—and counting—and is sold at Amazon.com, Sur La Table, and the ChefSteps website. We are currently hard at work on new products, features, and services that will prove integral to the kitchen of the future. Want to create incredible cooking experiences for people everywhere, and eat a lot of great food along the way? Read on.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Own the electronics portion of new product development
- System architecture, component selection, and PCBA design
- Prototype, test, troubleshoot, document, repeat
- Manufacturing support and sustaining engineering
- Create test plans and run tests on existing and new hardware as part of research and verification efforts
- Demonstrated start-to-finish design skills with industry-standard CAD/EDA tools, including schematic entry, PCB layout, component definition, and CAD library management
- Hands-on electronics prototyping experience, including soldering and rework of fine-pitch SMT components
- Strong lab skills, including the use of common test and measurement equipment (oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, etc.) to debug complex electronic circuits
- Experience with embedded systems design and strong knowledge of common digital communication interfaces (USB, SPI, I2C)
- EMC testing and troubleshooting
- Experience working directly on site with contract manufacturers
- Ability to think and work across disciplines
- Altium Designer board layout experience
- RF design experience (WiFi, Bluetooth, PCB antennas)
- Offline switching power supply and custom magnetics design
- Regulatory compliance (e.g. FCC, CE, UL)
- Experience with specifying and controlling motors
- Knowledgeable in C/C++ firmware development
- A proven track record of designing and shipping high-volume consumer electronics products
PERKS OF THE JOB
- Full health coverage, plus vision and dental insurance
- Competitive pay, annual salary adjustments, 401(k) plan, and ownership in the form of shares and/or options
- Self-determined leave—you schedule your own vacation and sick days, coordinating directly with your teammates
- Enriching work environment: Whether you want to master chocolate soufflé, score pro photography tips, pick up new math skills, or learn to pilot a glider, your ChefSteps teammates can help you. We hire fascinating people from many different backgrounds—Michelin-star chefs, award-winning animators and designers, top engineers, and globe-trotting journalists. If you come to work looking to get smarter, you’ll be at the right place.
- Design your own workstation—we encourage employees to request the tools and supplies they need to do their job well
- Dog-friendly work environment
- Seriously stocked coffee station: La Marzocco espresso maker, pour overs, French presses—we provide you with all of them, plus Herkimer beans for days. Just want a Nespresso? We’ve got that too.
- So much free food—snacks to fuel you, dishes crafted by ridiculously talented chefs to feed your very soul. Seriously, it’s like working in a secret Seattle restaurant that also happens to be the city’s best.
- The best parties, sailing trips, mountain vacations, and more—many of us have a background in hospitality, and we like to do it up right
- Great location: First, we work in downtown Seattle, which, wow. This city is amazing. Second, we are right in the heart of Pike Place Market, which means drinking, eating, and grocery shopping in a world-class food destination mere steps from your desk. What, pray tell, could be better than that?