If you and Uncle Sam totally get each other like all BFFs do, read on! Our team needs a tax accountant with a keen eye for the detail that tax matters demand; sales and use tax, VAT, GST, and federal and state tax returns, too. In addition to partnering with finance, you will work with operations, marketing, and other business teams across the organization to make recommendations for strategic tax-related decisions. If that’s not enough, you will also get to participate in other projects with the finance team when you need a break from that aforementioned Uncle!
What you’ll do:
- Iterate on and establish new processes that guarantee completion of all tax matters within the company, including:
- Income tax: Ensure timely filing and accuracy of IRS, state, and foreign government filings.
- Sales, use, and VAT/GST tax: Report and file sales tax in applicable states and countries where we have a collection and filing obligation.
- State taxes: Washington and Seattle B&O, sales and use, and King County PPA taxes all apply.
- Import duties: Ensure our payment obligations are met and full credits are captured
- Tax nexus: Yearly/quarterly review process of nexus, file for registrations, and ensure compliance.
What will help you be most successful:
- A genuine appreciation and knowledge of a broad spectrum of tax matters and tax law and compliance.
- Software skills: Excel (required); SQL (bonus!); QuickBooks Online (or something similar); tax-reporting systems (we use Avalara).
- Demonstrable knowledge of relevant Washington state regulations governing small businesses, taxation, and reporting.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Strong, independent problem-solving and strategic thinking skills.
- 5+ years of tax accounting experience with increasing responsibility.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- Work in an e-commerce and/or manufacturing business.
- CPA certification.
In return, please enjoy:
- Full health coverage, plus vision and dental insurance.
- Competitive pay, annual salary adjustments, 401(k) plan with company match, and ownership in the form of shares and/or options.
- Self-determined leave—you schedule your own vacation and sick days, coordinating directly with your teammates.
- Enriching work environment: Whether you want to master a chocolate soufflé, score pro photography tips, master new math skills, or learn to pilot a glider, your ChefSteps teammates can help you learn. We hire fascinating people from many different backgrounds—Michelin-star chefs, award-winning animators and designers, top engineers, and globe-trotting journalists. If you come to work looking to get smarter, you’ve come to the right place.
- Designing your own workstation—we encourage employees to request the tools and supplies they need to do their job well.
- A dog-friendly work environment; well-behaved canines welcomed.
- A seriously stocked coffee station: La Marzocco espresso maker, pour overs, French presses—we provide you with all of them, plus Herkimer beans for days. Just want a Nespresso? We’ve got that, too.
- So much free food—snacks to fuel you and dishes crafted by ridiculously talented chefs to feed your very soul. Seriously, it’s like working in a secret Seattle restaurant that also happens to be the best one.
- The best parties, sailing trips, mountain vacations, and more—many of us have a background in hospitality, and we like to do it up right.
- Great location. First: We work in downtown Seattle, which—wow! This city is amazing. Second, we are right in the heart of Pike Place Market, which means drinking, eating, and grocery shopping in a world-class food destination mere steps from your desk. What, pray tell, could be better than that?
Who we are:
Born of a love of cooking, ChefSteps is a smart kitchen product company building tools to help people have more fun while cooking more, and get incredible results every time. In 2016 we launched Joule, the smartest, smallest, and most powerful sous vide device on the market. Controlled by a smartphone or tablet (plus Amazon Alexa and Facebook Messenger), Joule has been used to cook more than 1 million meals—and counting—and is sold at Amazon.com, Sur La Table, and the ChefSteps website. We are currently hard at work on new products, features, and services that will prove integral to the kitchen of the future.
We believe a diverse team creates better products and a more rewarding work culture, and this belief centers our hiring process. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. To learn more about our company culture, please see our About page.