At ChefSteps our goal is to solve problems that help our customers cook more, cook better, and have fun doing it. Joule, our award-winning sous vide circulator, has helped our customers cook millions of delicious meals. Now we’re taking the leap to create new kinds of food products that make it more convenient for our customers to cook meals they’re proud to serve to family and friends.
We’re looking for a senior food scientist to join our team and contribute their deep expertise toward inventing new food products that improve our customers’ cooking experiences. This role requires exceptional food-science knowledge and a lot of experience navigating the world of commercial food production. This is a hands-on leadership role, and you should have a proven history of collaborating with diverse teams and managing complex projects successfully.
What will help you be most successful:
- Passion for cooking, and a curiosity about the hows and whys of cooking
- Solid understanding and experience working across the entire food product development cycle
- Strong knowledge of food manufacturing processes and technologies
- Advanced degree in food chemistry, food science, or related subject
- Minimum of 5 years industry experience working on consumer products
- Strong understanding of food regulatory requirements and quality assurance strategies
- Expertise in food preservation strategies and related processing technologies
- Experience developing and shipping a novel food product concept
In return, please enjoy:
- Full health coverage, plus vision and dental insurance.
- Competitive pay, annual salary adjustments, 401(k) plan with company match, and ownership in the form of shares and/or options.
- Self-determined leave—you schedule your own vacation and sick days, coordinating directly with your teammates.
- Enriching work environment: Whether you want to master a chocolate soufflé, score pro photography tips, master new math skills, or learn to pilot a glider, your ChefSteps teammates can help you learn. We hire fascinating people from many different backgrounds—Michelin-star chefs, award-winning animators and designers, top engineers, and globe-trotting journalists. If you come to work looking to get smarter, you’ve come to the right place.
- Designing your own workstation—we encourage employees to request the tools and supplies they need to do their job well.
- A dog-friendly work environment; well-behaved canines welcomed.
- A seriously stocked coffee station: La Marzocco espresso maker, pour overs, French presses—we provide you with all of them, plus Herkimer beans for days. Just want a Nespresso? We’ve got that, too.
- So much free food—snacks to fuel you and dishes crafted by ridiculously talented chefs to feed your very soul. Seriously, it’s like working in a secret Seattle restaurant that also happens to be the best one.
- The best parties, sailing trips, mountain vacations, and more—many of us have a background in hospitality, and we like to do it up right.
- Great location. First: We work in downtown Seattle, which—wow! This city is amazing. Second, we are right in the heart of Pike Place Market, which means drinking, eating, and grocery shopping in a world-class food destination mere steps from your desk. What, pray tell, could be better than that?
Who we are:
Born of a love of cooking, ChefSteps is a smart kitchen product company building tools to help people have more fun while cooking more, and get incredible results every time. In 2016 we launched Joule, the smartest, smallest, and most powerful sous vide device on the market. Controlled by a smartphone or tablet (plus Amazon Alexa and Facebook Messenger), Joule has been used to cook more than 1 million meals—and counting—and is sold at Amazon.com, Sur La Table, and the ChefSteps website. We are currently hard at work on new products, features, and services that will prove integral to the kitchen of the future.
We believe a diverse team creates better products and a more rewarding work culture, and this belief centers our hiring process. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. To learn more about our company culture, please see our About page.